Sunday, February 13, 2011

"Born this way!"

I have a confession. I did disclose it in my Facebook profile but some may be surprised to learn….I’m a big fan of Lady Gaga. I resisted for a long time but I guess I was just “born that way.”
There is indeed something in my DNA finding rebels appealing. I became especially enamored with Tolstoy’s views of the Gospels upon learning he had been excommunicated because of them. It’s why I read Daniel Berrigan and Marcus Borg and am intrigued by Che’ Guevara. For years I displayed a Sandinista flag in my office even after my mother expressed concern that might not be legal! It is also why I am drawn so closely to the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth.
I write about Lady Gaga now because she is timely. She has just released a remarkable new song entitled “Born this way.” The sound is exciting but it is the lyrics that are especially compelling.
My mama told me when I was young
We are all born superstars
She rolled my hair and put my lipstick on
In the glass of her boudoir

"There's nothin' wrong with lovin' who you are"
She said, "'Cause He made you perfect, babe"
"So hold your head up, girl and you you'll go far,
Listen to me when I say"

I'm beautiful in my way,
'Cause God makes no mistakes
I'm on the right track, baby
I was born this way.
Lady Gaga is a product of the Catholic education system As a child she attended Covenant of the Sacred Heart, a private all girls’ school, something both she and they may not like to acknowledge…background contributing to the genuineness of the words of the song.

Give yourself prudence and love your friends
Subway kid, rejoice your truth
In the religion of the insecure
I must be myself, respect my youth

I'm beautiful in my way,
'Cause God makes no mistakes
I'm on the right track, baby
I was born this way
“In the religion of the insecure.” The very idea that God makes no mistakes seems to create “the religion of the insecure." Thoughtful stuff to chew on these days, huh? We old fogies need to consider how much a sermon her song is to young people who are not sitting in the pews on Sunday morning. 
Here’s a link to the song: http://www.ladygaga.com/bornthisway/?utm_source=GagaFBv2&utm_medium=Link&utm_campaign=BTWSingle or if that doesn’t work, Google “Born This wa

No comments:

Post a Comment